Sunday, August 10

Recipes

Hi everyone! So I need some help. We're trying to get healthy at our house, so if you have any fantastic healthy recipes that you love please leave a recipe in the comments. I've tried some things that are good, but a lot that are not the best tasting... so I figured if the recipe came from people we know maybe we might have better luck. I'll try to put some on in the comment field a little later that we did like so that you can all get some new recipes too! Thank you... and please no sea food. :)

9 comments:

Julie Powell said...

No recipe yet. We are doing a food storage recipe taster buffet night at enrichment night on the 27th. I'll get the good recipes to you. I love your new layout. It is beautiful.

Jennings Bloggers said...

You are asking the wrong family. I have been racking my brain, but don't seem to come up with much. steph

Oliver & Natalie said...

What about your pf changs lettuce wraps recipe? Isn't that healthy? Yeah, I'm having a horrible time thinking of anything good to make for dinners... sometimes I think it'd be easiest to just not eat dinners. lol!

Ashley said...

the cool thing with healthy eating, is that you can usually just keep a lot of your same recipes, but just substitute stuff. like, i always use olive oil for my fat. even sometimes in brownies and other desserts! it still tastes good. also, i stopped using refined white sugar, now i use turbinado or honey or agave nectar, etc. i also stopped using white flour, and pretty much always use wheat. at first, you could just do half and half till you get used to it. i've also cut out red meat for the most part. use ground turkey instead of beef. here's a good recipe you might like, and super healthy.
9 can chili beans.
4 cans beans, drained (white, pinto, black, red, one of each or whatever is in your pantry.)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce.
2 cans of Rotel.
1/4lb-1lb ground turkey.
cook your turkey through in a little olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. then add in all the canned stuff. i usually only use one can of Rotel. its too spicy for my kids with 2 cans. and it makes the meal cheaper too. so i guess its really 8 can chili!
let it simmer for 30 minutes or so. and there you go. if you didnt have rotel, you could put in a couple small cans of green chilis, and some chili powder and cumin. it would probably come out about the same.
yummy corn bread to go with it
3/4 c. cornmeal
1 1/4 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
mix all dry, then add
1 c. milk
1/4 c. honey
1 egg
1/4 c. olive oil.
stir just till mixed. put in muffins, or in oiled pan. 9x9, or something small. bake 400 for 20 minutes or so.
hope you like it.

Ashley said...

just to clarify, the chili recipe is called "9 can chili" i didnt mean to put in 9 cans of chili beans! sorry, it looked kind of unclear when i reread it.

Oliver & Natalie said...

that sounds yummy... i will try that one for sure! Thanks Ash! Also thanks for the substitution ideas. :)

Nettie said...

Natalie... use Bison meat instead of beef. You can not tell the difference between the two. Also... get one of those grill baskets and grill veggies and throw on a salad with Dijon vinaigrette. Look up California Pizza Kitchen it is their grilled veggie salad. AMAZING!!! I also found that at Bakers they have cooking spray that is Olive Oil. It is amazing. You guys should do that Metabolic Research diet. It is amazing and teaches you how to eat balanced and smart. I am going to start doing it.

Nettie said...

Might I say AMAZING???? hee hee

Julie Powell said...

I guess that I haven't looked at you sited lately. Your laundry area looks great. I love the light peach. I brightens it up down there. As for healthy eating, you can eat pretty much the same foods (except junk food). You just need to remember not to fry, always eat a protein with carbs, and think colorful. Not like a bag of m&m's. I mean veggies....salads, fresh fruit, stir-fry, ect. Oh yeh, only use olive oil. No crisco. And for a snack-pbj-low fat cheese-low fat yogurt (think protein).